William B. Salt II, M.D., gastroenterologist, IBS and SIBO expert
William B. Salt II, M.D. Personal Statement
Life is difficult.
- The Road Less Traveled
M. Scott Peck, M.D.
Most people would agree with the statement Dr. Peck makes in the opening sentence of his book, which is one of the great life truths. While the stress and emotional distress of life can contribute to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), having IBS makes life even more difficult. It's a vicious cycle. And to be clear, stress and emotional stress are not the cause of IBS, which is not an imagined disease that is "all in the head."
There is a revolution - a renaissance - in the understanding, recognition, diagnosis, management, and treatment of IBS and SIBO. the gut microbiome and health are a key to overall wellness. Very few medical professionals are knowledgeable about this and have the time, commitment, and passion to effectively care for patients suffering with IBS and SIBO. I am one of the few.
about william b. salt ii, m.d.
I'm an M.D. graduate of The Ohio State University and board certified internal medicine specialist and gastroenterologist trained at Vanderbilt University Hospitals, where I also served as a chief resident in medicine. I've had a life-long career interest in IBS and most recently the commonly associated dysfunction of the GI tract (gut) microbiome called, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). I have over 40 years of experience caring for patients, teaching medical students and residents in training, and educating other doctors.
this website has two purposes:
1. Offer my consultation and care of patients suffering with IBS and SIBO:
2. Education of patients and the public about IBS and SIBO, so they can become their own experts and collaborate with their health care professional(s).
- Read my ebook, IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome A Gastroenterologist Answers Your Questions
- I am preparing a new e-learning program and book, which you can sign up to review the introduction and contents (it will be free for all of my patients, and I aim to have the initial pilot program available by September, 2018:
IBS, SIBO, Leaky Gut, and Gut Microbiome Dysbiosis: A Functional Gastroenterologist Guides You to Understanding
- Visit the Livestrong.com Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Center. I wrote the 8 core articles and serve as the IBS expert.
- Visit MyGutHealthToday.com, where I serve as the gastroenterology expert.
- Read my interview in Health Scene Ohio (magazine of the
William B. Salt II, M.D.